Expend Just A Little More Effort
The Olympics offers us innumerable lessons on leadership and winning.
Watching some of my favorite competitions, I am once again reminded of the razor-thin margins that separate the top from the bottom.
“A winner is just a loser who tried one more time.” –George Augustus Moore
In many events, the difference between the treasured gold medal and not placing at all is nearly undetectable. A first-place finish often can be measured only by going out into the hundredth of a second. Many of us remember watching Michael Phelps win his 7th Gold medal by a finger tip. Without the power of technology, and slow motion replays, it can be questionable who won an event.
That fraction of a second reminds me of how winners often give just a little bit more:
- The bodybuilder who performs just 1 more rep every practice
- The swimmer who practices by pushing just 1 more lap
- The sales person who wins makes just 1 more call
- The football player who spends just 1 extra minute at practice
- The leader who writes just 1 more thank-you note
- The friend who pens 1 note of encouragement
- The writer who writes 1 more page
- The student who reads just 1 more chapter
- The runner who pushes 1 more mile
- The coach who coaxes her team to 1 more victory
Disciplined activity is what moves us into the direction of success.
“The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” –Thomas Edison
+1 Your Day Today
Consistently giving +1 to our goals is often what creates the winning edge.
Too often we give up right before a victory. We allow ourselves to drift slowly to mediocrity instead of pushing that little bit extra.
“To win you have to score one more goal than your opponent.” –Johan Cruijff
It’s easy to do one more rep, one more lap, give something one more minute.
All of these steps may be easy to do, but they are also easy NOT to do.
That one more is inside you, waiting on your discipline. Whatever you do, why not make today a +1 day!
“Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall.” –Oliver Goldman
What if you could read just 1 more article and it transformed your future? By signing up for FREE to Leadership Insights, you get that +1 more insight that will support your goals. Here’s to your next win!
“The biggest human temptation is to settle for too little.” -Thomas Merton