Thankfulness and Gratitude
In the United States, we celebrate Thanksgiving this week. That usually means overindulging in food, football, and family. It’s also a time to increase our gratitude for the many blessings we have.
“Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.” -Cicero
For years, I have studied the benefits of an attitude of gratitude. I’m amazed at study after study that demonstrates its incredible power. Gratitude helps us:
- Reduce depression
- Get promotions at work
- Improve our self esteem
- Increase our energy
- Develop a strong immune system
- Decrease blood pressure
- Increase sleep quality
- Reduce and cope with negative stress
- Eat healthier
- Have deeper friendships
- Increase productivity
- Improve job performance
- Become more likable
- Reach goals faster
- Increase feelings of happiness and wellbeing
- Reduce negative emotions such as envy, hatred, and anger
- Increase positive emotions such as love and empathy
There are many ways to increase gratitude in our lives. One of the best ways is to start a gratitude journal.
But, let’s face it: many of us won’t commit to doing that. So, let’s make this simple. Let’s improve our spirit of thanksgiving and gratitude right now, whatever we are doing, wherever we are, even if we are not celebrating Thanksgiving.
Design your own visuals with Venngage Poster Maker.
3 Steps to Boost Thanksgiving
Here are 3 simple steps:
- Close your eyes and picture three people who made a difference in your life. Whether they are alive or not, think about them and how grateful you are that these people made an impact on you.
- Send a positive, encouraging text to someone right now, thanking that person for something he or she has done for you.
- Share something you are thankful for. Use the comments below or take to your favorite social media outlet.
If you are really thankful, what do you do? You share. -W. Clement Stone
I’m thankful today for you. Thank you for reading and participating in the Leadership Insights community. Thank you for teaching me along the way.
Boost Your Positive Intake
“Send gratitude to the world and surprising advantages will return back to you.” –Skip Prichard