Leadership Lessons from Star Wars
Forty years ago, on Wednesday, May 25th, 1977:
The Brady Bunch Hour ended.
Jimmy Carter was President of the United States.
And George Lucas released Star Wars.
Star Wars debuted on only 32 screens in the United States, but it would launch careers, become a multi-billion dollar franchise, and change the movie business.
There are many leadership lessons in Star Wars:
- There’s strength in diversity. Look different, think different = strength.
- The power of simplicity. Discard what’s unneeded.
- A team is stronger when individuals are in balance and strong.
- Surround yourself with the best people.
- Go for your dreams!
- Leadership is about duplicating the positive power within.
- Look beyond initial appearances.
- Mastering self is the beginning of the leadership journey.
I could go on and on.
Every one of the movies is filled with great quotes full of these life lessons. Here are a few of my favorites.
Quotes from Star Wars Films:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda
“Who’s the more foolish: the fool or the fool who follows him?” –Obi-Wan Kenobi
“You know what I always say: speak softly and drive a big tank.” –Hondo Ohnaka
“If no mistake you have made, yet losing you are…a different game you should play.” -Yoda
“Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is essential to a Jedi’s life.” -Anakin
“To answer power with power, the Jedi way this is not. In this war, a danger there is of losing who we are.” -Yoda
“Sometimes we must let go of our pride and do what is requested of us.” -Padme
“All mentors have a way of seeing more of our faults than we would like. It’s the only way we grow.” -Padme
Sign up for Leadership Insights. Why? The force will be with you. You’ll be a better leader. PLUS! My Free Leadership book and a digital class on how to be creative.