Time to Pause
This morning I went for a walk in the woods behind my house. It’s that time of year when winter’s line is blurring into spring, and spring is beginning to win. The trees remain leafless, and yet, if you look closely enough, you can see the tiniest hints of green scattered here and there. Days are beginning to shift and I feel the restlessness of nature. A slight wind is at first cold and biting before it shifts to a warm, teasing breeze. Walking to the back of the house, I glance up and watch quietly as a small bird ducks under the deck, carrying twigs to make a nest. Spring, undoubtedly, is on the way.
The changing of the seasons. I’m not sure why, but it makes me stop and think more. It’s time for a pause, a look back and a look ahead. Spring is an exciting time, filled with new possibilities. To fully take advantage of its hope, we need to discard what we are carrying to free us to take on new opportunities.
“You cannot change the seasons, but you can change yourself.” –Jim Rohn
Behind us, let’s leave:
- The ideas of yesterday that didn’t work.
- The insults and criticisms that others launched, still clawing at us.
- The clutter of our lives. Yes, spring cleaning allows us to remove the physical clutter. But don’t stop there. It’s the spring cleaning of our thoughts that will yield a great future.
- The missed goals of what we didn’t do. Holding onto them will only weigh us down.
- The negative people who don’t believe in us and don’t join our vision.
- The regrets of yesterday that we continue to allow to rule over today.
“Each of us is imbued with the power to choose to the season of our mind.” -Skip Prichard
Leadership Tip: Leave behind the negative people who don’t join your vision.
Ahead of us, let’s grab onto:
- The dream that we shoved into the drawer, but hold onto.
- The new idea that may prove to be the catalyst of our future.
- The untried, the experiment, the positive.
- The new friends who inspire us and push us out of our comfort zone.
- The wisdom of the past that whispers its undeniable truth.
- The happiness that trembles just beneath the surface, wanting to inspire.
Leadership Tip: Embrace friends who inspire and push you out of your comfort zone.