Beware of Taking the Bait
You’re swimming peacefully. Then everything changes.
There it is, right in front of you. It’s amazing. It smells delicious. It’s yours for the taking!
You take a bite, just a little taste, you think, and then….
Someone has you, and they are reeling you in. You push and pull and thrash, but you can’t get away. You’re done.
That may be the perspective of a newly-caught fish on a summer morning, but it’s too often also a story that we identify with.
“Happiness can only be found if you free yourself of all other distractions.” -Saul Bellow
Beware of the Subtle Hooks
Every day we are surrounded with opportunities to throw us off our mission. If we aren’t careful, we are soon hooked onto something and getting dragged far away from our purpose:
- News stories designed to pull us in with shock value.
- Friends sharing the latest gossip.
- Video games that make hours disappear.
- Emails that are someone else’s priorities.
- Texts and social media messages that are unimportant, but feel urgent.
“I’ve trained all my life to not to be distracted by distractions.” -Nik Wallenda
Where did the time go?