Routine is the enemy of creativity.
Now, somewhere someone is arguing with that idea, saying that routine can enhance creativity. Routines can allow our brain to go on autopilot for the unimportant.
Sure, there is likely truth in that.
But, I think that occasional, even small changes can fire up our brain’s neurons and create new connections. We travel the same paths so often that we often miss the changes occurring on the route.
- My alarm goes off, and I follow the same pattern I have for years.
- I drive the same route to work.
- I follow a routine when I arrive at work.
- Each meeting follows a pre-set agenda and most are held in a conference room.
- I rush from task to task with little time left.
- The day ends, I head to the gym and start my routine workout.
- I rush home in time for dinner and helping with homework.
- I drive home and the evening is much the same as the one before.
- I watch the news and read a book.